Sunday, August 23, 2009

The fellowship begins

So, Ive neglected this blog for awhile. I told myself that I'd be better about writing down thoughts from this year, as it is a huge milestone in the life of our family.
We sold our house in May. Really, that was a fairly crazy time around the McQuillen household. Having spent weeks sorting through our stuff, we had a garage sale just before moving in which we got rid of 25% of our stuff. I think we probably threw out, gave away, or craigslisted another 25% of our stuff prior to that. After we sold the house, we stuck the rest of our stuff in a 1o X 18 ft. storage shed and couch surfed for

three weeks. We had no idea how stressful it would be hopping from house to house until we could move into the apartment in which we now live. Don't get me wrong, we had three very nice places to stay, it's just that it's tough for a toddler to adjust to all of those new places. During the months of June and July I took off for a Tropical Medicine and Parasitology course in West Virginia. It was a very good course. The course content was an in depth exploration of items that were just presented as side notes in medical school. Below is the long list of stuff we learned about. Again, it was very exciting, particularly modules 2 and 3- but I haven't sat in class that many hours in a row in years...I'm not very good at being stationary.

Module 1 Lectures
  • Course Overview /Introduction to Global Health
  • Epidemiology of Tests
  • Primary Care and the Health Care Worker
  • Essential Drug List
  • Role of Women in Health
  • Famine-Displaced and Refugee Populations
  • Nutrition & Growth Monitoring
  • Family Planning
  • Geographic Distribution of Infectious Diseases
  • Global Epidemiology & Surveillance
  • Global Disease Eradication
  • Air Pollution & Climate Change
  • The EPI Vaccine & Preventable Diseases
  • EPI Cases I, II
  • Emerging Infections
  • HIV Epidemiology & Control
  • Role of International Organizations & Volunteer Organizations in Global Health
  • Global Burden of Psychological Diseases
  • Antimicrobial Resistance
  • Protein-energy Malnutrition
  • Key Micronutrient Deficiencies & Their Prevention
  • Disaster Planning
  • Medical Management of Bioterrorism
  • Causal Inference
  • Community & National Responses to Malnutrition
  • Measures of Morbidity
  • Measures of Mortality & Survival Analysis
  • Epidemiology of Communicable Diseases & Epidemic Investigation
  • Vector Control
  • Tropical Water Supply & Sanitation
  • Rural Development
  • Population Transition & Health Measures
  • Ethical Issues in International Health
  • Environmental Health
  • Occupational Health
  • Cultural Issues in Global Health
  • Introduction to Epidemiology
  • Screening Programs
  • Study Design I, II, III (Descriptive Studies, Analytical Studies, Clinical Trials & Meta-analysis)
  • EPI Cases I, II, III
  • Global TB Eradication
  • Module 1 Review
Module 2 Lectures
  • Module 2 Overview
  • Travel Medicine I - Advice to Travelers
  • High Altitude Sickness
  • Respiratory Diseases in the Tropics
  • Poisonous Plants and Fish
  • GI Diseases in the Tropics
  • Tropical Ophthalmology
  • Cardiovascular Diseases in the Tropics
  • Surgery in the Tropics
  • Urologic Diseases in the Tropics
  • Dermatology Cases
  • Dermatology in the Tropics/Infectious Skin Diseases
  • Infective Endocarditis
  • Viral Encephalitis
  • Pediatric Respiratory Illnesses
  • Eosinophilia
  • Hepatosplenomegaly
  • Neurologic Diseases in the Tropics
  • Animal Bites and Rabies Prevention
  • Travel Clinic
  • Tropical Medicine Cases
  • Web-based Resources for Travel Medicine
  • Infectious Diarrhea & Fluid Management
  • Enteric Fever (Typhoid)
  • Bone & Joint Infections
  • Skin & Soft Tissue Infections
  • Venomous Insects & Animals
  • The Ill-returning Traveler
  • Prolonged Fever & FUO
  • Heat-Associated Illness
  • Travel Medicine II
  • Dentistry in the Tropics
  • Surgical Dressing/Suture Lab
  • Improvised Splints Lab
  • Immigrant & Refugee Health
  • Pediatric Travel
  • Introduction to Clinical Malaria
  • Cross Cultural Medicine
  • Hypothermia
  • Aviation & Diving Medicine
  • Obstetrics & Gynecology in the Tropics
  • Dermatology for Dark Skin Peoples
  • Burn Care in Developing Nations
  • Culture Shock & Re-entry Shock
  • Module 2 Review/Jeopardy
Module 3 Lectures
  • Module 3 Overview
  • Introduction to Parasitology
  • Intestinal Protozoa/Tissue Amoeba
  • Intestinal Protozoa Lab/Film
  • Blood & Tissue Protozoa - I (Leishmania, Toxoplasma)
  • Blood & Tissue Protozoa - II (Trypanosomiasis)
  • Blood & Tissue Protozoa Lab/Film (Protozoa and Stool Contaminants)
  • Malaria
  • Malaria Lab
  • Schistosomiasis
  • Other Trematodes
  • Stool Exam for Ova & Parasitology Lab/Film
  • Intestinal Nematodes
  • Cestodes/Larval Cestodes
  • Filariasis & Tissue Nematodes
  • Parasitology Case Studies - I(Protozoa)
  • Parasitology Case Studies - II(Trematodes, Ectoparasites)
  • Parasitology Case Studies - III(Cestodes)
  • Parasitology Case Studies - IV(Nematodes)
  • Nematode Lab/Film
  • Trematode Lab/Film
  • Control of Parasitic Infections
  • Parasitology Practicum I, II
  • Parasitic Jeopardy Competition
  • Medical Entomology (Arthropods, Ticks, Mites, Lice, Bugs, Fleas, Mosquitos, Flies, Myasis)
  • Medical Entomology Lab/Film
  • Entomology Case Studies (participants)
  • Cestode Lab
  • Parasitology Review
  • Clinical Parasitology by Organ System I-II
  • Drugs for Parasitic Infections
  • Video: TBA
  • Module 3 Review
Module 4 Lectures
  • Module 4 Overview
  • Hansen's Disease
  • Cases
  • Diphtheria/Pertussis/Tetanus
  • Pulmonary Tuberculosis & Screening
  • Extra Pulmonary Tuberculosis
  • Cutaneous /SQ Fungi
  • Systemic Mycoses/Opportunistic Fungi
  • Antifungals
  • Zoonoses
  • Syphilis & Other Treponematoses
  • Non-tuberculous Mycobacteria
  • STIs I, II
  • Rheumatic Fever & Other Strep
  • Lymphadenitis
  • Acute Lower Respiratory Infections
  • Non-Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever & Arboviral Illnesses
  • Hematology in the Tropics
  • Molecular Techniques
  • HIV Global Overview
  • Viral Hepatitis
  • Blood Smear Lab
  • ID Case Studies
  • Rickettsial Diseases
  • Oncology in the Tropics
  • Microbiology Lab
  • Peds Procedural Pearls
  • Meningococcemia & Other Bacterial Sepsis
  • Cases - TB
  • Serologic Diagnosis/ Case Presentations
  • Dengue
  • Shigella & Amebiasis
  • Measles
  • HIV Presentation & Management
  • Typhoid
  • Peds HIV
  • Influenza & Avian Flu
  • Urinary Tract Infections
  • Prevention of Pneumonia Globally with Vaccines
  • Neonatal Resuscitation in the Developing World
  • Leptospirosis
  • Diarrheal Diseases
  • Diarrhea/ORS
  • Peds TB Cases
  • Neurologic Cases
  • Practical Aspects of Microbiology Lab in Developing Country
  • HIV Management - Opportunistic Infections (Cases) HTLV I - II
  • Module 4 Review/Jeopardy

A complete overview of the course can be found at:

http://www.hsc.wvu.edu/som/tropmed

It was difficult to leave April and Abbi for several weeks during the beginning of the course. But, driving out to WV with three of my best friends crammed into my VW sedan was the most fun I think I've ever had on a 16 hour car ride. The day before leaving, I emptied the meal monies on my residency name badge on energy drinks, so we were definitely wired for sound on our epic journey eastward.

We arrived at our desination, a little college house that we had rented out for the duration of our class work, in the wee hours of the morning. We were greeted warmly by our good friend Logan, who had been involved in the course for 2 weeks prior to our arrival. Being the only one in that 1000 sq. ft. house was getting a little lonely for him.

Together, we endured over 3oo hours of class room time (though the Via Christi guys did the first module online). The little house logan had to himself quickly felt much smaller as the five of us shared the small living space with one bathroom. The feeling of togetherness only became stronger when we were joined by three of our wives and three children. Thankfully, my single buddies, Jack and Rick were able to stay at a nearby apartment while the families were in town.

Overall, we had a great time. After returning from the course, Jack and Rick took off for Medical Missionary training and service at Karanda hospital in Zimbabwe. Information on the hospital can be found at:

http://www.teamzimmoz.org/kmh.html

Rick is currently keeping a blog at:

internationalfamilymedicine.blogspot.com/

While the guys are forging ahead with work overseas, John, Logan, and I are completing the stateside leg of our International Family Medicine Fellowship. Information on the Fellowhship can be found at:

http://www.vcfm.net/fellowships/international-medicine-fellowship/

I hate to abbreviate the part of the blog that pertains to the WV Tropical Med course, as it really was a great experience. I think if I had my dithers, I'd change a couple of things about the course, but overall it was an essential part of training for work overseas. Hopefully the lessons will stick with us as much as the memories of our more extracurricular activities!

I am currently completing a month of anesthesia training at St. Joseph hospital in Wichita, KS. But, that is another post altogether!

1 comment:

  1. I'm here to give my testimony how I was cured from HIV, I contacted my HIV via blade. A friend of my use blade to peel of her finger nails and drop it where she use it, so after she has left i did know what came unto me i looked at my nails, my nails were very long and I took the blade which she just used on her own nails to cut of my finger nails, as i was maintaining my names, i mistakenly injured myself. I did even bother about it, so when I got to the hospital the next week when i was ill the doctor told me that I am HIV positive, i wondered where did i got it from so i remembered how I use my friend blade to cut off my hand so i feel so sad in my heart to the extent that i don’t even know what to do, so one day i was passing through the internet i met a testimony of a lady that all talk about how she was cured by a doctor called DR Imoloa so i quickly emailed the doctor and he also replied to me and told me the requirements which i will provide and I do according to his command, he prepare a herbal medicine for me which I took. He message me the following week that i should go for a test which i did to my own surprise i found that i was HIV negative. He also have cured for all kinds of incurable diseases like: Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, Addison's disease, Chronic Disease, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fungal Nail Disease, Paralysis, Celia Disease , Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscle Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer Disease and so many. Thanks to him once more the great doctor that cured me dr. Imoloa so you can also email him via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or what'sapp him on +2347081986098.. God Bless you Sir.

    ReplyDelete